Dolpo trek to the unexplored divine mountain kingdom of upper Dolpo at the foot of the mighty virgin Himalayas.
Upper Dolpo trek offers a real adventure trekking on remote and rugged natural unspoiled corner simply beyond the Himalayan valleys across western Nepal. This upper Dolpo region preserves one of the last remnants of traditional Tibetan culture. Where the pre-Buddhist Bon-Po religion is still in practice. High mountains including the Dhaulagiri massif to the southeast surround this spiritual sanctuary that remain cut off by high passes closed by snow half the year.
Snow Leopard and Caravan inspired by magnificent Dolpo
Dolpo remains a truly isolated corner of Nepal. Time has stood still here for centuries as the inhabitants of Tibetan stock continue to live, cultivate. And further more trading the way they have done since time immemorial. The finally preserved Eco system encompasses a wild and wonderful variety of flora and fauna, including the blue sheep and elusive snow leopard. This upper Dolpo trek is one of the great trekking experiences in Nepal. It has given birth of Peter Matthiessens masterpiece and best selling book Snow Leopard. Beside that Eric Valli Oscar nominated movie CARAVAN (also known HIMALAYA) was featured in this isolated Himalayan sanctuary of Dolpo.
Shey Phoksundo lake in upper Dolpo trek
After obtaining special permit for the upper Doplo trek we take our flight to Juphal via Nepalganj. Following up Matthiessen footsteps, we trek north on to Shey Phoksundo National Park before joining ancient Nepal Tibet trade route. Further more steep ascent to cross the Nangdola pass (5110m). We witness the views of whole of Dolpo valley to Dhaulagiri and the snow capped peaks in boarder with Tibet. The scenery begins to change with the hills becoming shades of red, brown and gray. Eventually you can hear prayer flag fluttering at the top of the pass. The view opens up dramatically looking east towards the snow peaks of the Kanjiroba and magestice Dhaulagiri range. We soon walk through the pleasant green pastures to the pristine Phoksundo Lake full of crystal deep blue fresh water contrasting with the weathered red and brown hills.
Trip to upper Dolpo trekking pass many mystical stunning peaks and witness the spiritual charms of remote monastery of Shey Gompa. This monastery was established in the eleventh century and little has changed here since then. We cross over other two high passes: the Sela (5094m) and the Jyanta pass (5221m). Before trekking descend to the Dho Tarap valley in our way to Juphal airstrip to end our historical trip of lifetime to upper Dolpa, the land of mystery, scenery and peace.
- Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu / welcome dinner with cultural program
- Day 02: Fly to Nepalgunj / stay at hotel
- Day 03: Flight to Juphal, meet all camping trekking crew / start the Dolpo trek start.
- Day 04 - 06: Trekking to Shey Phoksundo Lake, Nepal highest situated pristine lake.
- Day 07-10: Trek / visit Shey Gompa after crossing Nangdola pass, witness the stunning beauty of Kangirowa Himal.
- Day 11-12: Trek to Namgung / cross the Sela pass / Great view of Mustang and Tibetan snow peaks.
- Day 13-14: Trekking to Saldang, explore the Trans Himalayan settlement
- Day 14-17: Trekking to Tokyu village: cross the Jyanta pass: stunning views of massif Dhaulagiri.
- Day 18-23: Trek to Juhpal via Himalayan settlements of Dho Tarap, Ghyamgar, Tarakot, Dunai.
- Day 24 -25: Fly to Nepalgung and Kathmandu to end the upper Dolpa trekking / exploration day
- Day 26: Trip ends / airport transportation.