Adventurers around the globe like to leave their footprint at mt. Everest base camp, no doubt the world’s top adventure destination. Mt. Everest has two base camps one in north side in Tibet at 5150 meter and the another in Southside in Nepal 5365 m. One can drive to North Tibetan base camp thus it is no more adventure walking rather it is a driving tour. Nepal side Everest base camp hiking trip takes 10 – 14 days to complete through the challenging terrain. The trek to Everest base camp is in the reach of average fit people.
The unfortunate fact is that every year trekkers are dyeing on the Himalayan trekking and some of the trekkers have not a good adventure experience at all. Thus the BIG question is How to trek to the safe Everest base camp? What could be the best Tips to do the walking adventure safely.
Depending on our 2 decade long trek leading and organizing experience we have set out some Tips to do the EBC trek in safe way – could be helpful to any trekker who is planning to do the trekking in the Himalayas.
Top 10 Tips from Experts on Safe Everest base camp
1. Choose the Best Time & Itinerary
The best time to do the Everest base camp trek in March to May and mid September to December. This EBc hiking can be done from10 -14 days time duration that does excludes the time in Kathmandu. Make sure to have 2 days of acclimatization rest day on the way to EBC. You may like to explore some other section on the same region like Gokyo lakes crossing the chola pass depending on your time duration or hiking to the less trodden route to base camp.
2. Physical and Mental Preparation
We suggest to have 1 or 2 month long physical preparation would be great to get fit for the Everest base camp trek. You can start do running, cycling, any gem exercise or walking ups and down carrying some weight on day back or weekend day hike would be helpful on your trek. Trekking in the Himalayas is walking adventure holidays at higher altitude terrain where the weather could be challenging thus mental preparation to get ready for the worse case scenarios in important.
3. Set your own PACE, walk Slowly and let the way to Yaks
Either you are walking in group or solo, one of the key of safe trekking to Everest base camp depends on your walking pace. Walk slowing at your own pace allows enough time letting your body to acclimation well. Be prepare to let the way to Yaks and horses on the trails. Always keep yourself on the mountainside while giving the way.
4. Be vegetarian and drink enough of water
Meat product might be store a longer period of time thus being a Vegetarian is the best way to keep yourself safe on trek. Drink around 3 / 4 liter of water per day. Avoid cheese and dairy product at higher elevation. Plain meals are best at high.
5. Trek with Local experts
No body know the Himalayas better than the local thus choose the local guide and trekking company who have great trek leading experience. The true fact is that all the International tour and travel companies around the world must hire the local company at the end to lead your trip. International companies simply assist you and keep the bigger part of cake with them.
6. Make sure to have enough trek crew
Trek group leader, assistant guide and porter form the trekking crew. These trek crew are really helpful to deal with any adverse situation while on trek eg one trekker getting sick on the way, change of itinerary due to the bad weather etc.
Few responsible company providing 01 trekker:01 porter thus your porter carries the less weight. These private porter could be very much helpful to you while on trek. No doubt with this you are helping the local economy and creating more jobs in the country you are trekking.
7. Proper gear for safe EBC Trek
Choosing the right gear make your adventure holiday safer and better. Make sure your trekking boots are already broken in. Get some warm and personal gear. You need the warm or down sleeping bag and down jackets as well. This can be hire in Kathmandu or some of the operator provide the free use of these trek gear to make the hassle free trip to the Himalayas.
8. Know about the Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
Acute Mountain Sickness could be a life threating if the normal rule of getting acclimation is not followed while ascending higher. Better to take small medical kit with you. Know if you are allergic to any food or medicine.
9. Get proper Insurance
Though getting the proper insurance is recommended to do the Everest base camp trek it won’t guarantee your safety 100%. Make sure your insurance does cover the medical rescue evacuation in case. Weather permit to get helicopter evacuation done on time and it only operate in daytime only. Thus we advice all the trekkers to join the group trek making sure to have safety back up like Oxygen and Pressurize Altitude Chamber in case.
10. Choose the Best company to trek with
Choosing the best trekking company could be time consuming but it is really importation as your holidays and life depends on them. There are some points you need to make sure in choosing the best trekking company in term of safely.
- Make sure the company has medical trained and experience permanent trek guide or trip leader to lead your adventure trip.
- Do they have great or sound trip leading experience – you can check the independent trip reviews to know more about the operator
- Check the company safety back up in terms of medical assistant needed
- Do the company carry Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) or Oxygen cylinder with mask regulator in case of any one in group suffer the Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) and are their guide competent to operate it.
- Do they have enough trek crew to support in case any thing goes wrong on mountain eg one person getting sick on trek or the unpredictable weather changes etc.
- Is the operator register on the respective bodies on Nepal Government? To run the trip in Nepal it is mandatory to registered in Nepal government. International tour operators are not register with Nepal government and they are running their trip sub contracting with local company. The ratio of booking directly with reliable and reputed trekking company is growing each year than to booking with International tour operators.
Great & Safe Trek to Everest base camp