Learn Nepalese Language
Travelers in Nepal have felt pretty comfortable speaking only in English during their stay, whether in major cities or popular rural trekking routes. This is because Nepalese people are familiar with rudimentary English vocabulary. However, learning a few words from the local Nepali dialect is helpful as it tends to make Nepalese people friendlier. This could also be an advantage if your diction is poorly received or misunderstood. Here is a list of words and phrases in the Nepali dialect that you may consider learning when making multi-day trips in Nepal.
Some Common Words and Phrases from Nepali Dialect
- Namaste = Hello
- Tapainko Naam k ho? = What is your name?
- Mero Naam John ho = My name is John.
- Yo Baato kata Jancha? = Where does this road lead to?
- Khana = meal/lunch/dinner
- Paani = water
- Khanadinus = please give me food
- Paanidinus = please give me water
- Bhoklaagyo = I am hungry
- Trikhalaagyo = I am thirsty
- Dhanyabaad = Thank you
- ho, Hajur = Yes
- Chaina, = Hoina No
- Malai Maaf Garnus = Please forgive me.
- Angreji bolnu huncha? Do you speak English?
- Maali Ali Nepali Bolchu = I speak basic Nepali.
- Ta-Ta / Namaste = Bye bye
- Chor! = Thief!
- Malai Sahayog Garnus = Please help me.
- Ma Harayen = I am lost.
- Doctor kata Hunuhuncha = Where is the doctor?
- Ma Sakaharihun = I am a vegetarian.
- Aaja = today
- Hijo = yesterday
- Bholi = tomorrow
Talking about quantities:
- Yeskokatirupiya? = How much does this cost?
- Thorai = less
- Dherai = more
- Aadha = half
Asking for Specific Things:
- Malai ............. Dinius = Please give me ................
- Dinus = please give
- Linus = please take
- Ausadhi = medicine
- Chiya = tea
- Ticket = ticket
- Kotha = room
- Charpi = toilet
- Chiso = cold
- Taato = hot
- Sabun= soap
- Rumal = tower/handkerchief
(Remember that learning a new language takes some time. Also, the pronunciation could be difficult initially but improves with practice. So take your chance to speak in Nepali whenever you can! Enjoy your stay in Nepal.)