Responsible Trekking in the Himalayas – One Trekker: One Porter
Table of Contents
New Year 2015 – New Commitment – 1 Trekker: 1 Porter
Trekking and climbing are the most popular adventure activities in the Himalayas. No doubt the porters are the backbone of such adventure holidays in Nepal. Depending on the trekking routes, the trekking condition varies which may include freezing nights out in a tent or teahouse at a higher elevation with less Oxygen available on the wonderful surrounding a parade of peaks.
Mountain Monarch is proud to announce that we are one of the few trekking companies implementing ONE TREKKER: ONE PORTER strategy on our entire trekking and climbing trip above 4000 meters in the Himalayas from 2015. The personal porter is more like having your own personal Sherpa walking or climbing next to you. He carries a much lighter weight of 15 Kilo only than any other porters you encounter on the route so he can help and support you and deal easily with any problems that arise.
We strongly believe that this new trekker and porter ratio create more much-needed jobs opportunity. Thus the ethical way of dealing with porter enables them to work longer and spend extended and healthy lives so they can continue to support themselves and their families. Trekkers will benefit too as they will have direct interaction with our porters who will be happy to share first-hand information about their culture and lifestyle and many will probably become valued friends.
Employing porters on any of the adventure trips is a great form of aid for the local economy if done responsibly. The more porter we employ the better as it creates the much-needed job opportunity and benefit to the local unemployed man powers in mountain and countryside. Porter carries the heavy load up and down the mountains, all day long, day after day in all sorts of weather and altitudes. Ethically employing the porter is very important as his family depends on him.
Mountain Monarch Responsible Porter Protection Policy: Our Guidelines
- We have a policy of ONE TREKKER: ONE PORTER and these porters carrying around 15 Kilo only weight on all high altitude treks above 4000 meters in the Himalayas
- We provide the appropriate trek and climbing gears to all porters that include windproof jackets and trousers, fleece jackets, trek boots, crampons on the pass, socks, hats, gloves, sunglasses, etc.
- We provide tents for accommodation with a sleeping mat and sleeping bag where there is no teahouse for their accommodation.
- All of these porters got proper insurance including helicopter rescue in case of emergency and get equal medical care as a trekker.
- We never send down any of the sick porter or trek crew alone, there will be a supporter with a sufficient amount of funds to cover the cost of rescue and treatment.
- We look forward to working with you and providing a wonderful trekking experience.
Let's employ the porter in the best Ethical way, support the tradition, and take good care of them!!!